Saturday, October 13, 2012

Past Midnight- Mara Purnhagen

1





Pages: 216
Published: September 1st 2010 by Harlequin Teen
Genre: Paranormal/ Y.A
Format: Paperback
Acquired: My own Copy
Date Finished: 14th October 2012

Synopsis:
Let me set the record straight. My name is Charlotte Silver and I'm not one of those paranormal-obsessed freaks you see on TV…no, those would be my parents, who have their own ghost-hunting reality show. And while I'm usually roped into the behind-the-scenes work, it turns out that I haven't gone unnoticed. Something happened on my parents' research trip in Charleston—and now I'm being stalked by some truly frightening other beings.

Book thoughts/ Review:

Past Midnight would have probably sat on my shelf for a few more months if it wasn’t for Richard Denney’s book club’s pick of the month. I almost wasn’t going to read it due to my large TBR pile on my dresser, but when all things are considered I am really glad I did, because this was a great book to kick start October with while my life is a little stress filled.

Let me start of by saying that I would recommend this book for younger readers as Mara’s writing is simplistic and does lack the intensity I have found in other young adult books of the genre, but don’t be mislead by that comment because sometimes simple and effective story telling is all you need to kick back with a good book and enjoy it for what it is. I found the whole reading experience to be a blast and it seems Mara has done her research. Also coming from a background much like Charlotte’s but without the parental influence I think she did a fantastic job on taking the concept of Ghost Hunting and exploring different routes.

I really enjoyed the story of Avery and Jared and how Charlotte becomes part of their inner circle and her part in their growth and healing. One of the biggest things I think YA fiction often lacks is that connection that is primal for humans, and the need to understand things outside themselves; death being a prominent part of that need. I felt the elements of friendship, growth and the story of the Pickens, blended with Charlotte’s own journey towards accepting herself was the most enjoyable part of the book and while it is such a short book it packs in a lot with a fantastic beginning and a satisfactory conclusion.

It hits a lot of Buzzwords for me and I would recommend it to read during October or any time during the year. For me it has its own meaning, and reflection on my experience as a reader so I found it to be a bit hard hitting at times and a little spooky, but if you’re looking for something more intense and dark probably look elsewhere. Overall I enjoyed this book, and I will be reading the second book in the series sometime in the future.

I am giving this one:
★★★★.5
Pink Sweaters

1 comment: