Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Beautiful Creatures- Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

0





Pages: 562
Published: December 1st 2009 by Little, Brown and Company
Genre: Y.A/ Fantasy
Format: Hardback
Acquired: My own TBR Shelf
Date Finished: March 27th 2013
Purchase Link Book Depository: Buy Here


Synopsis:
Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she's struggling to conceal her power, and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever.

Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town's oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them.
In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything

 

Buzz words: Magic, Mayhem, Romance, History, Southern gothic, Secrets, Psychic connections.


Much like everyone else, I admit that I jumped on this book when I heard the movie was coming out. I had heard a bit about it and at the mention of vampires I pushed it further down my pile until someone told me in fact it was about magic, and that for me was the kick up the ass I needed to get stuck into it.

Beautiful Creatures was very atmospheric in the southern gothic way that I just love to read. Everything from the setting of the old historical town [Gatlin], to the underground tunnels throughout the city and the chilling roads that lead to all kinds of trouble on ground and down below I felt myself immersed in the imagery and it made me devour the story even more. I am a sucker for still standing ancient houses and libraries that house magical books as well as dusty old tomes which lead me to wanting to even try out Ethan’s method of reading with his map that spans the length of his wall, where he marks the places he has been in books and one day wishes to travel.

I felt that all the characters were well rounded, fleshed out and emotionally absorbing. My favorites being; Marianne and Ethan. I thought that each character really added depth and complexity to the richness of the story and made me want to know more about them. Even the less likeable characters had me caring about their next move. Each one I believed deserved a place.

I love the aspect of Psychic connection. Through the dreams that Lena and Ethan share we are able to get glimpses into the past that brings us back into the present moment and propels the characters towards immense change that reflects on each and every character in the book. I also enjoyed going back into the past and seeing it through the eyes of different characters. I am a sucker for past life and history repeating itself so it was fantastic to see that explored and I love how it reflected on Lena and Ethan’s budding relationship throughout the journey of the story.

I will admit at first the dialogue was a bit jarring. I am one to dip into a southern book when I can, but it did take me a little getting used to it. I also had issues with near the ending of the book with the big span of characters and the introduction of a new one that had only been mentioned once or twice. I would have liked to see a little more of an appearance of Hunter throughout the novel to give it a bit more consistency. Also the change in perspective during the end was a little jarring, but refreshing and it did leave the novel at an interesting place.

Overall this was a strong, provoking and captivating start to The Caster Chronicles series.  I think Margaret and Kami did a seamless job at matching each other’s writing styles and overall this book was an addictive read. I cannot wait to get started on Beautiful Darkness and am excited to see where the authors take me with the next few books in the series.

I am giving this:
★★★★★
Moons and stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment