Sunday, November 11, 2012

The Night Bookmobile - Audrey Niffenegger

0



Pages: 40
Published: October 7th 2010 by Jonathan Cape
Genre: Adult/ Magic realism
Format: Graphic Novel
Acquired: Local Library
Date Finished: November 12th 2012

Synopsis:
First serialized as a weekly column in the UK's Guardian newspaper, The Night Bookmobile tells the story of a wistful woman who one night encounters a mysterious disappearing library on wheels that contains every book she has ever read. Seeing her history and most intimate self in this library, she embarks on a search for the bookmobile. But her search turns into an obsession, as she longs to be reunited with her own collection and memories.

Thoughts:

I miss the good old days of reading picture books and after recently throwing away the old censor that told me I am too old to read them, I decided that I was going to enjoy a book for being a book and forget about these thoughts or challenges that ask me to read one over 100 pages or it doesn’t count as reading a book. When I popped into the library yesterday with my partner I came upon a treasure of a picture book. Now called graphic novels or stories that are written for adults, The Night Book Mobile is a serial that ran in the newspapers transformed into a book that can be enjoyed in its entirety and enjoy it I did.

The story itself has dark undertones that make the book definitely for an adult audience, but the concept is one that can be loved and understood by anyone who loves books. I am an addict and proud so when reading about Alexandra and her journey through reading and through finding the Night Bookmobile I had that sort of excited and almost thrilling high as I devoured the story and its beautiful pictures in less than half an hour. I mean, who wouldn’t love to escape to a place where all the books you have ever read in your life are all in one place? Who wouldn’t love to sit there, sipping tea and travel down memory lane, from the picture books to the intense thrillers to even your own journals written as a child through to adulthood? Count me in.

But there was a catch, and that catch had me feeling anguish for Alexander and I was seriously in a panic; which to me is what makes the ending of this book and her reality even more sensational to read.  The artwork was simplistic, not overdone but still enjoyable. Not the greatest, but I still loved looking at it and I would certainly recommend this book to all avid book readers as it would be the perfect gift and the perfect addition to any Night Bookmobile of anyone’s imagination. However with an ending like that, even though I did enjoy it I have to say it might have cost it a star.

I am giving this one:
★★★★
Free mugs of tea from Dusk till Dawn

0 comments:

Post a Comment