Friday, January 6, 2012

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight- Jennifer E. Smith

0

. Pages: Hardcover, 215 pages

· Published: Published January 2nd 2012 by Poppy

· Genre: Contemporary/ Y.A

· Date Finished: 7th January 2012

· Rating/ Recommendation: 5 Stars *****

Synopsis:

Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?

Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan's life. She's stuck at JFK, late to her father's second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon to be step-mother that Hadley's never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport's cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he's British, and he's in seat 18C. Hadley's in 18A.

Twists of fate and quirks of timing play out in this thoughtful novel about family connections, second chances and first loves. Set over a 24-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver's story will make you believe that true love finds you when you're least expecting it.

Review:

First of all let’s talk about the cover- OMG it is stunning it its simplicity and I could not leave this book on my shelf for less than 12 hours before I had to pick it up. Honestly I wasn’t anticipating it. I read about it briefly, ordered it and checked it of my list of contemporary books to read, but when I received it in the mail; I stared at it all day and could not wait to start reading it.

Let me tell you I was in dying need of this book, after reading such intense plot’s it was nice to read something a little lighter yet certainly not lacking in story at all. The situation Hadley put herself in is believable and almost fairytale like because I can certainly say the only time I ever met someone while travelling my air they took up more seats than need be and let me tell you there was no love lost there.

The perspective and writing style is not typical. Instead it’s almost a he said she said storyline. While it took a few pages to get comfortable it was refreshing and a really great change. I loved the humor, the quirkiness and emotion in Jennifer’s writing and for the most part I could not stop the goofy smile tugging at my lips. I was feel good.

The story also alternates between the past and the present as the reason for Hadley’s trip unravels and her story as well as Oliver’s build and blend together as they journey across to London. I was glad that these transitions were seamless and were packed with great character insight.

I loved this book from start to finish even though there were some slow parts. It was the perfect start to my contemporary reading challenge and I would certainly recommend you get your hands on a copy as soon as possible. As a believer in love at first sight I appreciated the romance elements of this novel, but for those who dislike that kind of romance you might have a hard time falling in love with the story. Still whatever you believe it is worth the read.



0 comments:

Post a Comment