Tuesday, January 15, 2013

The Espressologist- Kristina Springer

0





Pages: 184
Published: October 27th 2009 [BYR]
Genre:  Y.A / Contemporary
Format: Paperback
Acquired: My own TBR collection
Date Finished: 15th January 2012

Synopsis:
What’s your drink of choice? Is it a small pumpkin spice latte? Then you’re lots of fun and a bit sassy. Or a medium americano? You prefer simplicity in life. Or perhaps it’s a small decaf soy sugar-free hazelnut caffe latte? Some might call you a yuppie. Seventeen-year-old barista Jane Turner has this theory that you can tell a lot about a person by their regular coffee drink. She scribbles it all down in a notebook and calls it Espressology.
So it’s not a totally crazy idea when Jane starts hooking up some of her friends based on their coffee orders. Like her best friend, Em, a medium hot chocolate, and Cam, a toffee nut latte. But when her boss, Derek, gets wind of Jane’s Espressology, he makes it an in-store holiday promotion, promising customers their perfect matches for the price of their favorite coffee. Things are going better than Derek could ever have hoped, so why is Jane so freaked out? Does it have anything to do with Em dating Cam? She’s the one who set them up! She should be happy for them, right?

Quick thoughts: Sugar and Spice and a lot of latte love- Delicious reading


I have been dying to read this book since before it log sat on my shelf and when I was going through my bookshelves recently I kept coming back to The Espressologist. Amidst all the books I already am reading I decided to throw caution to the wind and picked it up. And by god did I enjoy this novel immensely.

Every now and then one needs to read a novel about coffee, cute boys, friendship and young adult love and with The Esspressolgist there is no shortage of any of those. Jane Turner the narrator is a quirky, caring and creatively talented young woman who loves to see people happy, but also wants a little taste of the love pie for herself. When she begins match-making people with her talented espressology skills she soon finds fulfillment in seeing people come together and making love happen, but what about her? Jane is a character who made me smile, cringe and root for throughout the whole novel. She is the kind of girl most can relate to and I loved her story. Not to mention her friends and family [although we didn’t see much of her family.

The novel takes place majority of the time in a local Wired Joe’s coffee shop and I thought that was an interesting change. Who doesn’t love to settle themselves into a warm coffee shop and relax with a good cup of hot chocolate? I am a big fan of coffee shop settings so this definitely got a big thumbs up for me. But be warned you may want to hit your local after hearing some of the interesting spins on combinations. I certainly did and I loved enjoying this book with a hot chocolate in bed.

I also loved the concept of matchmaking through people’s choice of coffee. I think it was cute, inventive and something I would totally buy into if my local coffee shop was running something like it [shh don’t tell the man I said that] I found the little notebook scribbling a fantastic way to tie the story together and there’s even a recipe list at the back for some of the characters favorite drinks like Em, Dereck, Cam and Jane.

The espressologist is one of those feel good stories that leaves you satisfied. A relaxing read I would recommend it to anyone at anytime. It has a great cast of characters, all quirky in their own ways and it is a fantastic book if you are looking to read something a little more down to earth and less of an emotional roller coaster. If you are a fan of cheeky romances then this book is definitely for you and I really enjoyed the more clean language used in this book.  So for those pre-teens or those who are uncomfortable with a lot of profanity this book would be a wonderful gift to yourself or someone else you know that loves contemporary books.

I am giving this
 
★★★★
Frothy hot chocolates

0 comments:

Post a Comment