Thursday, August 30, 2012

Everneath - Brodi Ashton

0





Pages: 370
Published: January 24th 2012 by HarperCollins / Balzer + Bray
Genre: Y.A/ Paranormal
Format: Hardback
Acquired: Book Depository
Date Finished: 31st August 2012

Synopsis:
Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath, where immortals Feed on the emotions of despairing humans. Now she’s returned—to her old life, her family, her friends—before being banished back to the underworld... this time forever.

She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can’t find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists.
Thoughts/ Review:

When I first heard about Everneath sometime last year I knew it was a book I would love to have in my collection. Also as part of my challenge I decided to kick start the year participating in The Story Siren’s Debut author challenge. I find it a brilliant way to find new authors who outside of youtube I would probably never have thought to pick up.  Like we can all relate, this was one I was bound to read but never got around to it until now – Eight months later. I am so happy that I picked this one up when I did because it was exactly what I felt like at the time and although it did start of very slow [ and I was afraid I would not get into it], it soon picked up pace and I was addicted to the next page. 

I Loved the short chapters and the alternation between flashbacks and the present time. It made the read faster and more enjoyable and easy to not put down. Just one more little part I would tell myself and then a hundred pages would pass and it would be pretty darn early in the morning.

Brodie’s writing style began like a contemporary and continued with that feel throughout the entire novel which I thought would irritate me in a paranormal book, but I think the building back-story of Nikki’s past blended with the mystery of her fate really brought the elements together really well. She did well setting a dark tone while still being realistic enough to believe that this could really be happening to anyone. And with the non-stop tension and suspense hanging over my head like a storm brewing there was rarely a dull moment in the entire novel.

To say there is a love triangle in this book would be being honest, but its nothing like the churned out cookie-cutter replacers of others books out there in the genre. I felt that the connection between Nikki and both the male characters Jack and Cole were valid and entertaining in their own rights. I couldn’t pick a favorite because my opinions were constantly changing, revolving around Nikki’s own self realizations and the consequences of actions around both boys. It’s one of those novels that the romance is a prominent part, but not enough to over saturate the actual story. Brodie doses out scenes in a way to just give you enough to connect with the characters and be consumed in their stories, but not enough to make you roll your eyes and want to skim the scenes when love is mentioned. 

For the majority of the novel I actually really enjoyed Nikki as a character. There were times when I had to question her reactions and behavior, but for the most part I understood her reasoning and put in her position I don’t know how sane I would be. To know you only have Six months with the people you love and to try and make that time count while your life depends on you fighting the system would crush me, but Nikki remained strong and I loved that even in her weakest moments she still wanted to fight.

And what about the ending guys – for those who have read it. I am such as sook when it comes to situations I have invested in, those last few pages had be balling my eyes out, sniffling all over my shirt sleeve. For that ending alone I cannot wait to get my hands on the next book in the series. I would certainly recommend this book whole –heartedly. I loved the take on Greek Mythology and while I have yet to read many more books based on myths I love me a good retake on an old story. I think anyone who hasn’t read it yet should get to it and I would love to hear your thoughts if you have.

I am giving this book:
★★★★.5
Swirly Tunnels

0 comments:

Post a Comment