Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Confessions of a Shopaholic - Sophie Kinsella # 1

0


· Pages: 450

· Published: August 8th 2005 by Dell

· Genre: Women’s Fiction/ Chick-lit

· Format: Mass Market Paperback

· Date Finished: 17th February 2012

Synopsis:

MEET BECKY BLOOMWOOD, AN IRRESISTIBLE HEROINE WITH A BIG HEART, BIG DREAMS --- AND JUST ONE LITTLE WEAKNESS ...

Becky Bloomwood has what most twenty-five-year-olds only dream of: a flat in London's trendiest neighborhood, a troupe of glamorous socialite friends, and a closet brimming with the season's must-haves. The only trouble is, she can't actually afford it --- not any of it. Her job writing at
Successful Saving magazine not only bores her to tears, it doesn't pay much at all. Still, how can she resist that perfect pair of shoes? Or the divine silk blouse in the window of that ultra-trendy boutique? But lately Becky's been chased by dismal letters from Visa and the Endwich Bank --- letters with large red sums she can't bear to read --- and they're getting ever harder to ignore. She tries cutting back; she even tries making more money. But none of her efforts succeeds. Her only consolation is to buy herself something ... just a little something ...

Finally, a story arises that Becky actually
cares about, and her front-page article catalyzes a chain of events that will transform her life --- and the lives of those around her --- forever

Review/ Thoughts:

To kick start our book club over at my collaborative channel with Debra we decided to read the first book in the Shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella. What a rollercoaster ride of emotions it has been for me, reformed kleptomaniac and self- confessed impulse shopper. Reading about Rebecca Bloomwood and her hilarious and outrageous story was like offering me a whole new world of shopping while teaching me some very important lessons as well- the biggest being; Never ever get a credit card.

Finally a character I can identify with to hilarious levels. The way she rationalizes and is impulsive is something I myself have had to deal with when it comes to shopping and this alone I can guarantee would resonate with all of us at some point in our lives. But she is not just wild and outrageous. Becky has a good heart and was for the most part always doing something that would benefit the people around her or at least trying to save them some pain. However there were times when she was downright selfish and I wanted to slap her or shake some sense into her and for this reason I highly enjoyed her character because she had me laughing, and crying and cringing and flipping the pages fast enough to give me paper cuts.

I loved everything about this novel from its characters to the situations Becky put herself into and of course the slow coming romance that draws you in. I was glad that the overall romance aspect of the novel did not saturate the rest of the story and I loved Becky’s journey through realizing that she has a problem till the end where we are not quite sure what is going to happen.

Sophie Kinsella’s writing is so easy to read and yet full of everything I look for in a chick-lit. I will admit there were times when I had to put the book down because it was stressful reading about the hole she was digging for herself and her shopping sprees [I scoured Amazon for a lot of free books while reading this book] However I loved every minute of it and I am eagerly awaiting time to read the next book in the series Shopaholic Abroad.I would certainly recommend this to anyone who loves a good chick-lit with a little more meat to it.

Check out our Collaborative Channel which is all about Women reading Women’s Fiction.

★★★★★

Brewing Tea Bag

0 comments:

Post a Comment