Thursday, December 15, 2011

Fearscape - Simon Holt - The Devouring Book # 3

0

Pages: 314 pages

Published: October 5th 2010 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

Genre: Horror/ Y.A Fiction

Date Finished: 15th December 2012

Rating/ Recommendation: 3.5 Stars ***

Synopsis:

The Vours: evil, demonic beings that inhabit human bodies on Sorry Night, the darkest hours of the Winter Solstice.

It's been a year since Reggie first discovered the Vours, and the Winter Solstice is approaching once again. It will be another night of unspeakable horror for those unlucky enough to be taken by the Vours, because this time, she won't be able to stop them. The Vours have imprisoned Reggie in a psychiatric hospital, where she is subjected to a daily routine of unfathomably sadistic experiments. Her life is a living Hell, but she won't give up. They attacked her brother. They killed her friend. And Reggie will never stop fighting back.

Review:

Wow it has been a journey this year and I can proudly say that I have completed a trilogy. After reading the first two books it was a no brainer that I was going to pick up Fearscape, especially since I couldn’t just leave them lonely sitting on my bookshelf. Yet I let it gather a few dust particles until I decided to end the year with the last novel and I was excited.

Now after that insane cliffhanger in the second novel I had no expectations of where the story was going to pick up, but sadly for the first half and even through to the third part of the book it felt to me like I was going through the motions. I’d read it all before, the continuous fearscapes, Regina fighting against her body and her mind and while don’t get me wrong there is story progression and twist and turns I never saw coming, it took too long to get to the point for me. Too much talking and not enough action. [Well at least not until the last 50 pages]

Yet I enjoyed going into the fearscapes and the transition she makes. The sacrifices that they all have to succumb to, to not only save themselves but everyone they love. And we get to meet Regina’s mother, which totally threw me for a curve ball and I loved every minute of it. Not to mention Macie the crazy lady.

This is one of the best horror Y.A series I have read and probably one of the few that really gets underneath my skin and suffocates me like the black smoggy vour smoke that suffocates Reggie's existence. And Fearscape was no different to the first two, it freaked me out and had me asking so many questions. And Doctor Unger, erk he was a freak on speed. I was glad he got what was coming to him.

For fans of grotesque and physiological horror this is one of my recommended go to books. Simon Holt is a talented author, and I have enjoyed this trilogy so much. They will definitely have a home on my bookshelf and for anyone who wants to know they are so worth the money even if I didn’t enjoy the last installment as much as I did the first.

0 comments:

Post a Comment