Sunday, October 2, 2011

Soulstice - Simon Holt - [Devouring # 2]

0





Pages: 266

Published: September 1st 2009 by Little Brown and Company

Date Finished: 3rd October

Shelf Recommendation: Buy

Rating: 4 Stars

Synopsis:

The terrifying, nail-biting, and grossly intriguing sequel toThe Devouring.

It's been six months since Reggie first discovered and fought against the Vours, malicious and demonic beings that inhabit human bodies on the eve of the Winter Solstice.

The Vours still haunt Reggie, but only in her dreams-until one night, when an unexpected visitor turns her nightmares into reality.

The battle against evil continues in Soulstice, the second book in the thrilling The Devouring series, which School Library Journal called, "Comparable to books by R. L. Stine and Stephen King....A must-have for horror fans.

Review:

Like the Devouring, I was completely absorbed and consumed in the world that Simon Holt has created. It just keeps getting better as the story progresses and this novel was no disappointment to me. From the get go the action never stops, full of unexpected twist and turns and heart stopping scenes I fell deeper into the plot and was continuously looking around me to see who was watching me jump. One of the rare books that scares me on so many levels I loved Solstice so much.

There is no effort when jumping back into the world and embarking on Regina’s journey to save herself and the ones she loves from the Vours, but now not only those closest to her at stake and as she soon realises she is not alone, neither can she fight the battle that isn’t hers alone anymore. I loved hearing the backstory about some of my favourite characters while new characters and their history amplified the forward motion of the story to heart pumping levels.

Never a dull moment, I enjoyed every moment from beginning to end and I would seriously recommend this series to horror fans and supernatural buffs. In some parts this novel reminded me of supernatural the t.v show [which I am a huge fan of] and that made it all the more addictive to read and what a cliff-hanger, I held my breath till the final world. There is no doubt I my mind that I will be picking up the 3rd book in the series ‘Fearscape’. Unique, propelling and provoking this is a must read-series.

0 comments:

Post a Comment