Saturday, October 22, 2011

Silence - Becca Fitzpatrick - # 3- Hush Hush Series

0


Pages: 438

Published: October 4th 2011 by Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing

Date Finished: 23rd October 2011

Shelf Recommendation: Buy it/ Borrow – For fans of series.

Rating: 3.5 Stars ***


Synopsis:

The noise between Patch and Nora is gone. They've overcome the secrets riddled in Patch's dark past...bridged two irreconcilable worlds...faced heart-wrenching tests of betrayal, loyalty and trust...and all for a love that will transcend the boundary between heaven and earth. Armed with nothing but their absolute faith in one another, Patch and Nora enter a desperate fight to stop a villain who holds the power to shatter everything they've worked for—and their love—forever.


Review:

I have been anticipating this book all year, being a fan of the Hush Hush series I overspent just to get my hands on a copy as soon as I saw it in the bookshop window, this was before I heard that there was going to be another book in the previously mentioned ‘Trilogy’. Casting that aside I set out to get stuck into Silence, but soon realised that this was not the conclusion but more of a transition book that relied mostly on backtracking past history between the previous to books to lead to what should have in my opinion started in the first 100 pages.

I love Becca’s writing, there is no doubt about that, but this one ran a little too slowly for my liking and I didn’t really get into it until mid -200 pages. From there it certainly picked up and I felt my way around until I felt comfortable in the story, but there was always this nagging through in the back of my mind while reading. Why the flashbacks? Why the repeated history, clearly a fan of the series could benefit from a little reminded, but over a half a book? But after reaching that point I understood why it needed to read that way.

I was pissed, but kept reading because I loved the characters and had already invested so much time in the series and in the book itself it seemed stupid not to and it’s around this time that my favourite characters start showing up and I swoon madly over the two men in her life. Who doesn’t love a little danger and flirtatious teasing? Still something felt off and it wasn’t until Nora started reliving everything from memories that I realised just how invested I was in the novel and the connection I’ve developed with all of the characters.

The romance in this novel is dulled down which made the action more enjoyable in my opinion. It still lingers, warm and comforting, hidden beneath the layers of intensity and I am glad that there is no love triangle at all between Nora, Scott and Patch. I cannot tell you how refreshing it is to read a story where there is one faithful love and another platonic.

Upon finishing the novel I realise now why Becca set the story up the way she did. The cliff-hanger ending, like always made me that much hungrier for the next novel and while I did get that burning desire, overall the novel didn’t leave me feeling satisfied in the way the previous novels in the series did. Still, it was another amazing novel by one of my favourite authors and I cannot wait till the next instalment comes out- hopefully next year- ah the agony of waiting.

0 comments:

Post a Comment