Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Sugar Queen- Sarah Addison Allen- Review

1


The Sugar Queen


If you love books, love, heartbreak and candy then you will love The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen. But don't be fooled into thinking this is your average fairytale. This book is jam packed with guilt, betrayal and danger. Which makes The Sugar Queen all the more delicious. Just one bite and you'll be licking your lips as you turn each page.

Chloe: I really love how the books in Chloe life are alive and suit to her mood. When she was younger they suited to her boredom and as she grew to growing up and relationships. It added a connection to me a reader that I couldn't help but love whole heartedly and I wished myself that my books were alive and would come to me at the right moment in my life. It would sure make choose them much easier.

Josey: With her difficult relationship with her mother through to her self-confidence issues Josey felt to me like I was and still am. While she has her character flaws, her strong manner and willingness to take a chance made her a lovable character that was easy to connect with and understand at her worst and best times.

Della Lee: I had the most trouble connecting with Della lee as a character. I couldn't quiet picture her in my head and when I did, I didn't see her for her age, but more like a rebellious teenager. I tried at the beginning to capture what the author was trying to portray but she fell short for me. It wasn't until about the 300 mark that I began to have some suspicion as to why I didn't understand her and when I neared the end of the book I finally realised why.

I loved the cast of characters and each one provoked a range of emotions in me that I could understand wholeheartedly. While I disliked Josey's mothers attitude towards life and her daughter, I could understand to some extent how raising difficult children can be. I wouldn't go as far to say I hated her, but I certainly saw a lot of aspects from some of my own family members in her and it made be only that much wishful for Josey.

With so many surprised and secrets, it was hard to put down The Sugar Queen. The dynamics of the relationships in the town were fascinating, as Josey's love interest; Adam stated later during the book.

It was the dirty laundry, hidden by fear and jealousy that made this book more enticing and the truth, that I could never see what was coming and even when I guessed I was pleasantly surprised.

If you are looking for a book that you won't be able to put down and one that won't fall flat of expectations, pick up The Sugar Queen. I promise you won't be disappointed.

With beautiful prose, an imaginative plot and charmingly creative characters - Sarah Addison Allen has shown to be a talented, magical writer and I look forward to reading more of her writing.

I am giving this book 5 stars *****



1 comment: