Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Hex Hall Review - Rachel Hawkins

0


Pages: 323
Published:March 2nd 2010 by Hyperion Book
Genre: Y/A Supernatural
Format: Paperback
Acquired: My Own TBR Shelf
Finished: October 3rd 2013

Synopsis:
Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.
By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire student on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.

My Thoughts

Quick thoughts: Fast paced and fun with a sassy Mc and a kicker twist.


It's no secret I am collector of books, and it is equally no surprise that I own more books than it might take me years to read them all. Most of them tend to stay on my shelf until the right moment, while others I read straight away, eager to devour them and love them. Hex Hall had been sitting on my shelf for over two years before I took the plunge and picked it up. What's not to love about Witches right, and them being one of my favourite things to read about it was only a matter of time [after my Witch binges] that I would hunger for another tale.

After hearing that Hex Hall was a fast paced, fun, quirky and addictive read I had to pick it up. I was intending to wait until next year to start the series, but when books call they call and after watching Book Rat Misty's review on Youtube it just sealed the deal on my plans. I am happy to say that everything I have read in reviews and watched online lived up to my expectations and exceeded them.

Rachel's world was easy to escape to and her writing was hilarious, strong and heartbreaking- sometimes all at once. While the story was sometimes predictable, there were some real kickers with twist and secrets that unfolded and I really enjoyed several of the mystery elements that combined with my penchant for supernatural creatures and boarding schools made for one puncher of a read. One that I found myself wanting to read all day long [even when I couldn't damnit]

My only fault in the entire novel was the brief friendship with a certain character who at first is clearly made to be an enemy, it didn't feel all to natural for me, but when it comes to realistic teenage portraits stranger things have happened which leads me towards one of the better aspects of the novel: the relationships.

I found the relationships in Hex Hall [from family to friendship and everything in between to be surprisingly refreshing in the fact that they weren't over the top and were downright realistic. I found myself really connecting with Sophie and her friendships with the outcasts of the school as well as her sometimes strained relationship with her mother. Those elements even though they were small really added a lot of depth to Sophie as a character and I really enjoyed getting to know every character. Especially the sassy, down to earth, at times challenging Sophie who really had be cracking up at times.

There were many times in the novel that I had post-it-notes ready to book mark passages and if you want to know some of my favourite quotes you can check out my like it quotes on my blog [read the Fall into Reading posts]
Overall: I loved the ending and I cannot wait to pick up Demon Glass which is going to be bumped up on my TBR, followed shortly by Spell Bound [which I just ordered of Book Depo]. I will gladly pick up anything else by Rachel in the future and if I end up enjoying the Hex Hall Series I will be picking up the Spin off Series as well which I believe the first book is School Spirits. I would highly recommend this book to anyone. I have a feeling it is going to be an addictive series and one I might fly through and if you have read it and enjoyed it please let me know.

I am giving this:
♥♥♥♥♥
Viles of Demon Love

0 comments:

Post a Comment