Thursday, September 5, 2013

Christian Non-Fiction- Becoming Myself - Stasi Elredge

0





Pages: 240
Genre: Christian Non-Fiction
Publishers:  David C. Cook
Acquired: Net-Galley and Brought my own Copies
Date Finished: 6th September 2013

Synopsis:
In Stasi Eldredge’s most vulnerable book yet, she writes frankly about her own struggles with self-worth, weight, and her past as she shows readers that change in their lives is possible.

Quick thoughts: Captivating, Challenging and Promising.
This is my first Christian Non-Fiction that I picked up after coming into my faith. I was so excited. Having seen it around on many blogs and recommendation sites and after watching a video on Cross Walk where she was talking about becoming Myself, I knew that it was the right book for me to start with. I was blessed by Net- Galley to receive a free copy to read and review, but upon my first Shop at the Christian Bookstore in my town I had to grab a physical copy of the book and the Study Guide. I dove right into this book, Notebook, Pen and Bible by my side and let me tell you the journey was an eye opener.

Like every book there were things that didn’t sit well with me. Maybe because I am not as afar on my Journey and still have a lot to shed, but I did enjoy her messages about weight, beauty, names, women and what it means to be yourself both to man and to God, and that God needs to be the one who we seek, search, love, worship and praise above any Man or Woman. But that we can all unite as one to speak the Word and let that word breathe its love for our fellow Woman and most importantly- ourselves.

It is an intense read.  It is meant to be. Some days when reading it I could really absorb what Staci was saying, while other days her message combined with the scripture lead me to deeper reflection and took a lot longer to really breathe in. There is a lot to take in, and I found myself writing a lot of questions both in my mind and on paper about what certain topics meant to me and to others. I would say by far the most challenging chapter for me to read was the two part chapters on Mothers. There were moments when I was reading it that Stasi tapped into such real and raw emotions that I was awakened with clarity while at the same time both saddened and joyful about the impact my Mother has had and women in my life have had on who I am now as a Woman and as a child of God.

I think the deepest scripture that penetrated my heart was Mark 14:-6-8

But Jesus replied, Leave her alone. Why criticize her for doing such a good thing to me? You will always have the poor among you, and you can help them whenever you want to. But you will not always have me. She has done what she could and has anointed my body for burial ahead of time.

This passage and Stasi’s words really impacted me so much and it has become one of my favorite scriptures and I often remind myself now when I feel like I am not doing enough, am not enough for Man or God – That I do all that I can. I have done what I could and that Jesus Christ and my Lord know this and love me regardless. It is messages like this that made me love the book so much more.

My tip when reading this book would be to have three things close by. One- a box of tissues- because Stasi exposes the realness of being a Woman and what that means in it’s entirely and I doubt there is a reader out there who won’t respond to something she talks about. Two- a notebook or Journal: because while there is a Study book to go along with it [will be reviewing that much later] there are things I believe that are worth writing down and I hope that something at least one thing inspires you to do so and Three- Your Bible, because Becoming Myself is filled with great scripture to read, breathe in and reflect on and I would recommend keeping it close by.

Overall: I thought this book was provoking, engaging, challenging and an emotional roller coaster of beauty, relevance and humility. I would strongly recommend reading it – regardless of your journey with God and as someone new to my faith I found it to be a very powerful and strengthening read.

I rate this one:
★★★★.5

If you have any book recommendations let me know.
Net-Galley link:https://www.netgalley.com

You can find me:
TWITTER:@bittenbook
GOODREADS:http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/3988998-blair-mirth

0 comments:

Post a Comment