Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Cracked up to Be - Courtney Summers

0

Pages: 214

Published: December 23rd 2008 by St. Martin's Griffin

Format: Paperback

Genre: Y.A/ Contemporary

Date Finished: 7th March 2012

Acquired: BookTopia

Synopsis:

Perfect Parker Fadley isn’t so perfect anymore. She’s quit the cheerleading squad, she’s dumped her perfect boyfriend, and she’s failing school. Her parents are on a constant suicide watch and her counselors think she’s playing games…but what they don’t know, the real reason for this whole mess, isn’t something she can say out loud. It isn’t even something she can say to herself. A horrible thing has happened and it just might be her fault. If she can just remove herself from everybody--be totally alone--then everything will be okay...The problem is, nobody will let her.

Review/ Thoughts:

It shouldn’t be this hard to tell you my thoughts about this book, but let me tell you I certainly still struggle with it. When I started Cracked up to Be it was through recommendation and decent praise. Somewhere in the back of my mind for whatever reason I have this thing where I know when I will not enjoy a book regardless, and for my Courtney Summers is one of those authors who’s writing style I just cannot get down with.

For the most part reading this book was painful. While there was a decent amount of character building and progression I could not attach myself to any other character than Jake and even at times I felt he was a little weak, just when I thought I could feel for Parker I was left feeling disappointed and guilty, confused with whether she was snarky or just a bitch I decided as it became apparent she wasn’t going to change that she was just a bitch; regardless of whatever happened to cause her to act this way.

I am not sure if there could be anything different about the story that would have made me enjoy it better. I really dislike reading about self-loathing characters, I mean I am not heartless and I understand human condition and can be compassionate, but when I was reading it, I was so tempted to Wikipedia it and get it over and done with, even when the story picked up around the middle, but I didn’t despite the constant nagging in my brain.

Sadly I would not recommend Cracked up to Be and I do not foresee myself checking out any more of Courtney Summers books in the near future. [ Even though I want to read This is not a Test haha]

★★

0 comments:

Post a Comment