Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Fracture - Megan Miranda

0


Pages: 264

Published: (first published January 5th 2012) Bloomsbury

Genre: Y.A/ Contemporary

Date Finished: January 18th 2012

Synopsis:

Eleven minutes passed before Delaney Maxwell was pulled from the icy waters of a Maine lake by her best friend Decker Phillips. By then her heart had stopped beating. Her brain had stopped working. She was dead. And yet she somehow defied medical precedent to come back seemingly fine

—despite the scans that showed significant brain damage. Everyone wants Delaney to be all right, but she knows she's far from normal. Pulled by strange sensations she can't control or explain, Delaney finds herself drawn to the dying. Is her altered brain now predicting death, or causing it?

Then Delaney meets Troy Varga, who recently emerged from a coma with similar abilities. At first she's reassured to find someone who understands the strangeness of her new existence, but Delaney soon discovers that Troy's motives aren't quite what she thought. Is their gift a miracle, a freak of nature-or something much more frightening?

Review:

I didn’t read a lot about this book before I pre-ordered it. But something about the premise and the cover caught my attention, but after hearing nothing but good things about it, it seemed like fate to me that the day I was having a reading rut this book should turn up and have me completely hooked from the get go.

For anyone who has even drowned or been close to death you know that awful sensation when you feel the life escaping you and there is nothing you can do about it, despite the struggle. The first few pages of his book left me breathless to the point I was squirming and yet so wonderfully captivated. And these sensations didn’t leave me all through the novel. Now let me tell you it takes a lot to truly make my scared, but there were parts of this novel that really had an effect on me and I swear I saw shadows.

Fracture it primarily about Delaney and her experiences after waking up from a coma, but it is also about her friends and family and the effect her personality and behavior has on them and I just devoured it, even Troy who for the most part of the novel freaking the shit out me, really had some elements of his personality that I could understand and connect with.

There were some cliché moments in Fracture, but really what book nowadays doesn’t have a little element of cheesy goodness. It wasn’t so much as a problem, but it did stick in my mind at times. But Fracture honestly for me is a unique and fantastic novel. It is everything I look for in a novel; fast paced, character progression, intrigue, the element of surprise and not predictability and an intense storyline that makes you feel so many emotions, and I cried- yes I cried near the ending and it made me love this book even more.

I would recommend this to anyone of any age. It is my first Debut novel of this year and I will be keeping my eye out for more books by Megan Miranda in the future.

★★★★★

0 comments:

Post a Comment