Thursday, January 5, 2012

Falling Under- Gwen Hayes

0




Pages: 324

Published: 2011 by Penguin Books Australia Ltd

Genre: Y.A/ Paranormal

Date Finished: 5th January

Rating/ Recommendation: 4.5 stars ****

Synopsis:

Theia Alderson has always led a sheltered life in the small California town of Serendipity Falls. But when a devastatingly handsome boy appears in the halls of her school, Theia knows she's seen Haden before- not around town, but in her dreams.

As the Haden of both the night and the day beckons her closer one moment and pushes her away the next, the only thing Theia knows for sure is that the incredible pull she feels towards him is stronger than her fear.

And when she discovers what Haden truly is, Theia's not sure if she wants to resist him, even if the cost is her soul.

Review:

One of those novels that have sat on my bookshelf since God knows how long, and one that I was excited for all over again when I decided to start reading some of my older books.

For the most of this novel I was hanging on the edge of the seat, almost as frustrated and anxious at Theia was. But I loved the suspense and the mystery and I honestly couldn’t say that I could predict what was going to happen which made me more excited the deeper I got into the story. I have gone through some strange and wonderful things myself in regards to the supernatural and I really like the parallel between reality/ fact and the supernatural elements that blended well together. I am a sucker for a story that makes me ask questions just as much as the characters do.

There were little fragments in Falling Under where we also got a glimpse of what was going on inside Haden’s mind and life and thought that was a great way to introduce a little perspective and to understand the story from different angles.

Theia was a tough character for me to pin down, at times she had wonderful qualities about her and was fascinating; especially her part in the bigger picture. She lives a controlled life and it’s only natural for her to want to break out and experience life. Coming from the experience of being controlled 24/7 for a long period of time I understood her reaction and the desire to break free from the mold. Her choices were obvious of a typical teenage girl in her situation and for that kudos for Gwen for portraying it well, but she also had redeeming qualities, like smarts and provoking background history not to mention despite being a tad meddlesome was a good friend and wasn’t too self absorbed and self important.

The cast of characters were a great bunch with powerful Donny and quiet but eccentric Amelia together they were fantastic, all bouncing of each other and yet working together. I love those kinds of friendships. I also really enjoyed the humor and the interacting they experienced with the boys in their lives. It was an entertaining cast and I enjoyed getting to know all of them; including Haden Black who is your typical ass hat, but worth it for a good read.

I couldn’t help but feel there was a little more to just referencing some other well know Y.A books in the genre, and little pieces of the story reminded me of others I had read before, but not the point that I was rolling my eyes and didn’t enjoy the story because for me it was unique in a way that I haven’t read a book quiet like it. Gwen’s writing is fresh and yet decadent. It made me feel almost like I was drowning at some parts and I mean that in a good way [confused much]

Nearing the end I was thrown a curveball when the world as we know it is upside down and almost reversed. By this stage in the novel I was begging to finish the book as it was making me beyond anxious for Theia and almost felt like we were back at square one again with Haden. It was confusing, even after being thrown back inside Theia’s head again, but when I adjusted it was fascinating.

I certainly enjoyed the story, it took a little longer to read and process but was worth every second of it. I cannot wait to get my copy of Dreaming Awake which was published January 3rd 2011 by NAL Trade [?]

0 comments:

Post a Comment