Saturday, December 10, 2011

Wrapped Up In You- Carole Matthews

1


Pages: 440

Published: October 27th 2011 Sphere Publishing

Genre: Chick lit/ Women’s Fiction

Date Finished: 11th Decemeber 2011

Rating/ Recommendation: 4.5 Stars ****

Synopsis:

A Christmas fling, or has Janie found the real thing? Thirty-something hairdresser Janie Johnson's single status is a constant source of gossip for her friends and clients. So after too many nights in with her cat, a blind date disaster and news that her ex is getting married, Janie realises it's time to do something dramatic with her life. It's time for an adventure! Leaving winter behind, Janie takes the plunge and books an exotic trip to Africa. Her friends think she's mad and Janie thinks they may very well be right ...but then she falls head over heels for her tour guide and fully fledged Maasai Warrior Dominic. But can Janie now face spending a snowy Christmas back home without him? Packed with unforgettable characters, romance and laughter, Wrapped Up In You is your very own perfect Christmas Carole!

Review:

Wrapped Up In You is a quirky, easy to read and addictive novel that takes place in wet, rainy England and travels to Africa, the land of heat and rich beauty. If there is one thing I love more than anything it is a book that can captivate me and take me to places I only dreamed of going to, and one day hope I do. I have always held a fascination for Africa and when I read the premise for this book I was sold.

Meet Janie, a thirty something year old hairdresser with a pretty plain life, mix in a charming neighbour, a deluded best friend, a series of horrid experiences and a trip that would blow your mind. Everything about this book hit all the high notes. I love the drama, the characters, the personal growth in the characters and the scenery both in England and in Africa. I laughed, I shed tears, I curled my hands into fists and I remembered because we’ve all been in the path of love and its many perils and triumphs.

I had a lot of respect for Janie, until she started taking her neighbour Mike for granted. Oh Mike, how we could all use one and if you read the book you’ll know what I mean. Still she followed her dreams, took a chance not only on love but following her bliss and that is something I admire in characters. Despite one horrid mistake in dating, and news that would cause any woman to want to crawl into bed end eat a whole tub of ice-cream, she put herself out there and found herself in the process as well as a wonderful, jaw-dropping warrior to call her own. Their love just had me squealing.

I pretty much hated everyone at the Salon from the moment we met them. They were all so self- absorbed and it made me realise that there is more to life than TV, and shopping and spending money. There is more than the pain of being stuck in a relationship that just isn’t right and standing up for one that is meant to be. I was reminded time and time again that it is supposed to be about the two people involved, not a whole country. While her friends started becoming more supportive, her best friend was just a stuck up, jealous hoe bag. Erk- But I loved reading about them.

If all of Carole’s books are this good I sure as hell am going to go searching and pick them up. This novel was so downright hilarious and freaking nerve wracking that even I was on the edge through many of the chapters. Yet at the same time it was gorgeous, heart-warming and a deliciously unique read. I would recommend this to anyone, especially those in need of a good romance and for those cat lovers out there, I guarantee you will close this book with a smile on your face and a little more love for those strange, skittish fur balls.

My only issue with this novel was that I thought it would be more Christmas related. I mean look at that beautiful cover. Where was the snow, apart from a few scenes and Christmas was a little rushed over as the story was before and after the New Year. I would have liked to see some gift opening; maybe some snow angels, a little Christmas Spirit, despite her magnificent Christmas Experience.

1 comment: