Saturday, October 16, 2010

Wicked Appetite - Janet Evanovich- Book Review

0


Seven Stones of Power.

No one knows when they were created or by whom, each said to represent one of the Seven Deadly Sins.


I've always been a fan of Janet Evanovich, from the moment I got my hands on a borrowed copy of One for the Money [A Stephenie Plum series book] So it was no surprise for me to badly want her newest novel Wicked Appetite, book one in her new series 'The Unmentionables.'

Upon reading the blurb I considered giving it a miss. It was a different branch of topic from her usual romance and crime novels, but when I finally decided to purchase it, I was thrilled that I had because it was a highly addictive read.

Janet has branched out to the realm of fantasy, but not your average fantasy. I was pleasantly surprised as this book. Not only has Janet's usual humorous style of writing be retained, but Wicked Appetite has two of my favourite elements in the book as well: Crime and Romance.

The story takes place after Elizabeth Tucker [MC] is confronted by a strange man who not only changes her world, but her view on the world and her place in it. The novel is a wonderful blend of humour, quirkiness, magic and food which tied together made for a delicious read.

I adored all of the main characters which is somewhat unusual for me in a book, but my favourite character beside Elizabeth were the two animals Cat 7143 and Carl the monkey [who reminded me strangely of Donny from the children's show -The Wild Thornberry's] Every time he was in a scene I couldn't help but laugh, sometimes till I cried. He was such a character and I loved Janet's writing all the more for it.

The beginning was a little slow, and I found myself slowly reading along through the pages of dialogue waiting for the story to begin. I was glad it did after the first few chapters, but getting there was both an easy and a difficult journey.

I also had many issues with some of the minor characters and their lack of emotion. I understand that the story is meant to revolve around the main characters, but to me even the minor characters need to play their role and Clara especially was one who really had me concerned. There were a few scenes in which there was conflict, yet the character was written so vaguely it was hard to believe what she was saying and feeling and to connect with her.

This is an adult book, that could easily be read by young adults. It's mystical and enchanting I'd highly recommend it if you are looking for a light, hilarious read.

****.5 stars


0 comments:

Post a Comment