Saturday, March 16, 2013

The Power of Now- Eckhart Tolle

0





Pages: 224
Published: August 19th 2004 by New World Library
Genre: Spirituality/ New Age
Format: Paperback
Acquired: TBR Shelf
Date Finished: 10th March 2013

Synopsis:
Ekhart Tolle's message is simple: living in the now is the truest path to happiness and enlightenment. And while this message may not seem stunningly original or fresh, Tolle's clear writing, supportive voice and enthusiasm make this an excellent manual for anyone who's ever wondered what exactly "living in the now" means.

Quick Thoughts:  Not fresh, but different.


I was rather intrigued by ‘ The Power of Now’ and Eckhart Tolle’s practice of spiritual teaching. Not one to usually jump on any bandwagon, but as an outsider looking into a phenomenon that seemed to be expressed in various cultures, religions and spiritual practices I have always been one to have a moving desire to learn more about presence, being and concentrating on the moment as it is. From what I heard from reviews, speeches and word of mouth throughout the years Eckhart was told to be a genius, a revolutionary eye opener, a speaker of truth and of spiritual enlightenment. By reading The Power of Now I expected that this hype and his personality of positivity would speak volumes, instead I was left with a lackluster impression of his personality and style of approaching ‘the now’ and came head to head with some of my major pet peeves while at the same time becoming a little more self aware and enlightened in the process.

Fundamentally this book did reach out and speak to me in many ways. Some parts resonated more deeply than others, but overall the tone of the book made it hard for me to process some of the more enlightening passages, and Eckhart’s condescending and at times contradicting messages made for a far more convoluted read than I first anticipated. As I took highlighter to page I took the book itself with a grain of salt, collecting the things that I chose meant something to me and leaving the rest to the universe to maybe someday make sense to me in a different format, or through a different teaching or a challenge I found that there were some great insights into the world collectively and into myself as a ‘body’ in my physical form and as a ‘soul’ in my spiritual form.

While Eckhart’s approach screamed impractical, put into a slow progressing practice it is achievable to feel the power of now and appreciate the message he was trying to get across. Which is universally – We are all one. We are all united and most importantly we all only have now.

Because of this I would say this is a book to read and see for yourself where your interpretations lie. Instead of saying this is a load of horse shit, I’ll tell you that it is a blunt and different way of looking collectively at a lot of spiritual perspectives so that you can pick and choose what feels right for you. You may not like how he says it, or what he says, but you may find one paragraph that resonates with you and to me that is the true power of a book to find something that speaks to you and The Power of Now did on some levels.

I am giving this:
★★★
3 stars of enlightment.

0 comments:

Post a Comment