Saturday, March 23, 2013

Illuminated- Erica Orloff

0


Pages: 244
Published: December 8th 2011 by Speak
Genre: Y.A/ Historical
Format: Paperback
Acquired: My own TBR Shelf
Date Finished: 23th March 2013

Synopsis: Some loves are not made to last . . . Like Romeo and Juliet, Heloise and Abelard were doomed from the start, and their romance was destined to pass into history. Yet when sixteen-year-old Callie Martin discovers a diary hidden within an antique book, their story - and hers - takes on another life. For the diary leads Callie to the brilliant and handsome August, who is just as mysterious as the secret the diary hides. Their attraction is undeniable. As the two hunt down the truth behind the diary - and that of Heloise and Abelard's ancient romance - their romance becomes all-consuming. But Callie knows it can't last . . . love never does. Will their love that burns as bright as a shooting star flame out, or will these star-crossed lovers be able to defy history

Buzz words: Paris, History, Books about books, Antiques, Mystery and Suspense, Romance, with a little magic thrown in.


I first heard about Illuminated while watching a video on The Story Sirens channel back in 2011. Back then I knew little of it, but with the mention of Star-crossed lovers and hidden diaries I was pretty determined to have the book in my collection. Fast track to 2013 and I went into my book stressed and undecided about what to read next, when I reached for Illuminated and started reading, I knew I had picked the right book and I fell in love with the story from the get go.

Illuminated is a great exploration of love in all its forms and how people can come together through the most magical of experiences. With its fantastic pacing, easy reading and wonderfully painted detail you will want to devour it all in one sitting, possibly under candlelight with a wonderful hot beverage and a snuggly blanket. But you could definitely enjoy it in any situation and at any time.

The connection between August, Callie and A, being that both have lost their mothers in some way, that their fathers are both not there to varies extents and that Astrolabe has lost both his parents made this book more real to me. It is a fantastic reflection that even through history there are some emotions and situations that do not change, but also pose to remember that we are never alone.

I Like the evolving relationships between Callie and the characters, from August and his dad, to her Uncles and most importantly with her father- which is the strongest breakthrough; relationship wise. She learns about her mother through the truth and in doing so breaks through the barrier of communication, understanding and love.

It is a fairly clean read, although there is are a few cute make out scenes and swoon worthy moments and If you’re looking for a straight up one on one romance with no love triangles [unless you count the adults] then this is for you. You might also enjoy, like I did the added touch of whimsical mystery A - with the quotes starting at each chapter.

Overall Illuminated is a brilliant novel. As soon as I finished it I wanted to go back to the start and experience the story all over again. I will definitely be picking up more work my Erica, and I cannot wait to see where this novel takes me. It was satisfying in every way and has made me even more passionate about medieval history and the power of the truth. Illuminated is a stand out novel.

I am giving this;
★★★★★
Shooting Stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment