Monday, October 8, 2012

Clarity- Kim Harrington

1



Page: 246
Published: March 1st 2011 by Scholastic Point
Genre: Urban Fantasy /Mystery/ Y.A
Format: Hardback
Acquired: My TBR shelf
Date Finished: 2nd October 2012

Synopsis:
When you can see things others can't, where do you look for the truth?
This paranormal murder mystery will have teens reading on the edge of their seats.

Clarity "Clare" Fern sees things. Things no one else can see. Things like stolen kisses and long-buried secrets. All she has to do is touch a certain object, and the visions come to her. It's a gift.

And a curse.

When a teenage girl is found murdered, Clare's ex-boyfriend wants her to help solve the case--but Clare is still furious at the cheating jerk. Then Clare's brother--who has supernatural gifts of his own--becomes the prime suspect, and Clare can no longer look away. Teaming up with Gabriel, the smoldering son of the new detective, Clare must venture into the depths of fear, revenge, and lust in order to track the killer. But will her sight fail her just when she needs it most?

Thoughts/ Review

I’ve got to start off by saying that this book was dead on what I felt like reading at the time and I would read it all over again in a heartbeat if I didn’t already have a massive pile of books to read. The buzz words that explode before me; Psychics, tourist towns, ghosts, mystery, murder and mayhem – Kim you sold me at family of freaks and won me over with them.

What a refreshing read this was and a unique twist on the paranormal that both enthralled and fascinated me from page one to the end of the acknowledgements. Clarity was a fantastic read with its solid characters and tight plots. Even the subplots from the mystery of the Tascanos to Clarity’s own mysterious father had be hooked, flipping each page – daring to read forward when I just wanted to stop and soak it all up.

What really stood out to me about Clarity wasn’t just greatly fleshed out characters or the romance that felt relatable and realistic [ and not vomit educing] to me, but the quality of the writing that flowed effortlessly from one page to the next and the way that Kim Harrington totally had me drawn into the story she had created and caring deeply about each and every character. With fantastic pacing and enough dark undertones to feed my love for the genre I was constantly entertained and ready for more.

I also was so thankful that even while the story was intense and the subject dark it had is lighter moments and its rawness and that made me love it all the more. Not to mention each ability and what it meant to her family and how it built her family, as a big lover of my own family there is nothing that I wouldn’t do for them and the constant question looming over Clarity through the entire novel had me thinking just how far would I go for mine?

My only real beef was a little information repetition in the first few chapters of the book, but that to me didn’t stand out enough for me not to continue with the book. I would certainly recommend it to fans of the genre and to those out there who want a fantastic mysterious read with a little bit of love and a whole lot of awesome sauce. Not to mention although her brother was strange character I might have a little crush on him, so that’s all the more reason to pick up the book.

I am giving this :
★★★★★
Yummy Burgers.

1 comment: