Saturday, March 31, 2012

The Hunger Games #1 - Suzanne Collins

0




Pages: 454

Published: first published September 14th 2008

Genre: Dystopian/ Y.A

Format: Paperback

Date Finished: 31st March 2012

Synopsis:

In a dark vision of the near future, a terrifying reality TV show is taking place. Twelve boys and twelve girls are forced to appear in a live event called the Hunger Games. There is only one rule: kill or be killed.

When sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen steps forward to take her sister's place in the games, she sees it as a death sentence. But Katniss has been close to death before. For her, survival is second nature.

Thoughts:

So I must be the last person [almost] not to have read the hunger games and trust me it is not for lack of not having the book.


In fact the last time I checked I had a bookmark in it waiting for me, but no matter how much I tried to read it and watched so many reviews both good and bad for over a year, I could not pick up the book – why? Because I am vein and the cover just made me keep putting it back. That of course was until I picked up the series in plain black covers with a simple title and meaningful design on the cover and then we were cooking with hot rocks.

This is not as much a review, but more of my thoughts on the novel which there are many. First being that I do want to hit myself for not picking it up sooner, actually I picked it up a few days before the movie was due to come out thinking I could bash the damn thing out like a jagged rock to the head, but no – no I had to savoir this and I am so freaking glad I took my time and put every other book out of my sight because this book brought me back from my reading slump and made me fall in love with quality, unique [to me] Y.A fiction.

Katniss- like a fictional dream come true was everything I want and look for in a main character. She was strong, resourceful had morals and hope even in the bleakest of times. She had emotions and flaws, but also family orientated and I love that so much. I enjoyed her back-story and getting to know her deeply as a character through the progression of the novel and given the circumstances it was just amazing to read.

Every character in this novel for all purposes played their part and kept me hooked, even the deadly ones who I hated from the beginning. I felt something in my chest tighten with this horrid situation their government forces them into; from the inside and on the sidelines it was painful to read. And you do get to see it from an outside perspective. With the capital, the districts and how they do survive as a whole and the threat of an entire nation held captive by this barbaric tribute. It is so scary and painful because it is deadly believable and you got to wonder when reading would you survive and if so how?

The landscape and games reminded me a lot of the T.V show Big Brother how they are always watching your every move, hearing you’re every word round the clock; people’s emotions, turmoil and sacrifice all for show and what does it mean? What is it worth? And how has entertainment taken a turn in their society? How shallow it must be and feel.

I don’t want to gush [as it is very unbecoming of a lady] but for those who have read and enjoyed the Hunger Games you know what feeling I am trying to describe when every aspect that makes up a story you enjoy hits the nail on the head and leaves you feeling like you’re a crack addict wanting more after you close the book at night- just one more page- one more chapter and then it’s morning and you feel like you cannot sleep until you know what’s next.

I am so excited to read the next book in the series – Catching Fire and when I do I know I will enjoy the experience. I have found love in Suzanne Collins.

★★★★★

0 comments:

Post a Comment