Monday, February 20, 2012

Living Dead Girl - Elizabeth Scott

1


Pages: 170

Published: September 8th 2009 by Simon Pulse

Genre: Realistic Contemporary Fiction/ Y.A

Format: Paperback

Date Finished: 20th February 2012

Synopsis:

The thing is, you can get used to anything. You think you can't, you want to die, but you don't. You won't. You just are.

This is Alice.
She was taken by Ray five years ago.
She thought she knew how her story would end.
She was wrong.

Review/ Thoughts:

I actually forgot that I had purchased this novel until this weekend when I got an invoice telling me it had nearly arrived. Rekindled with interest, I re-read the synopsis and some recommended reviews by both friends and random reviewers and grew really excited to read Living Dead Girl. I haven’t read a dark contemporary read in such a long time I was worried that the subject matter [that hit close to home] would leave me feeling to tormented to read, but in fact it had the opposite affect and I could not stop reading it. The proof- I finished it in a few hours.

This book was amazing. Just pure sickness and turmoil that had my stomach in knots and tears swelling in my eyes and yet I could feel all of Alice’s pain, being subjected to abuse firsthand myself and as a sideliner. In fact I don’t know one person in my family who was not abused. Alice’s story felt so real and raw and ugly and yet powerful and heart wrenching. It is very rare that I read a book and think – fuck I want to just devour every dark piece of fiction I can. Because the honest truth is it is hard to find fiction now days that cuts deep into the marrow and severs every nerve, leaving you feeling gutted and yet emancipated.

This happens, you hear about kidnapping everyday but you do not get to read about what is like during. There are variants of the same hideous story. Some survive and others don’t. Some watch silently when they know and can hear everything while others cannot see. It saddens me that someone could cause Ray to do these things and I actually did feel some semblance of emotion towards him which scares the fuck out of me. I think it’s because we do see Alice’s side of her truth and her story but looking deeper into the novel you can see where history repeats itself and that adds another level to it.

Thank you Elizabeth, this is stunning fiction at its best. I recommend it to everyone no matter what your preference this is a story that needs to be read. I hate the suffering, it eats me inside but people need to wake up and do something and so many people do nothing and watch, too scared to get involved until some poor child’s life gets stripped apart from the inside until they are nothing but bones and ashes. Only then does it peak some people’s interest. Living Dead Girl is disgusting, disturbing but so wonderfully written. Get your hands on it now and if you own it, read it NOW.

★★★★★

1 comment:

  1. Planning to get to this one this year, maybe not until October but I am for sure going to read it

    ReplyDelete