Thursday, December 1, 2011

Lola and the Boy Next Door - Stephanie Perkins

0


Pages: 338

Published: Published September 29th 2011 by Dutton

Genre: Contemporary/ Y.A Fiction

Date Finished: December 2nd 2011

Rating/Recommendation: 5 Stars *****


Synopsis:

Budding designer Lola Nolan doesn’t believe in fashion . . . she believes in costume. The more expressive the outfit -- more sparkly, more fun, more wild -- the better. But even though Lola’s style is outrageous, she’s a devoted daughter and friend with some big plans for the future. And everything is pretty perfect (right down to her hot rocker boyfriend) until the dreaded Bell twins, Calliope and Cricket, return to the neighborhood.

When Cricket -- a gifted inventor -- steps out from his twin sister’s shadow and back into Lola’s life, she must finally reconcile a lifetime of feelings for the boy next door.


Review:

I loved that Lola was unique and unlike from Anna and the French Kiss, yet it still had carried on elements and characters. It was a book in its own as well as a companion novel. And I loved getting to see Anna and St. Clair and how their romance has blossomed since the Anna.

If St. Clair was swoon worthy, well step over baby cause Cricket is in town and he is smoking. Is it possible for me to fall in love with a character even more than the main? Don’t get me wrong I loved Lola, well I loved everyone, but when it came to Cricket I could see a man I would fall in love with and I was eagerly turning the pages, not caring one bit about Max at all. He was just a beautiful young man, awkward, intelligent and unafraid to say what on his mind even if it was embarrassing. Did I mention I love him?

Oh and Andy and Nathan, god I wish I had them as parents. I love my parents, but damn they loved Lola so much, and they accepted her for what she was, who she was and never tried to stop her from expressing herself, except when it came to dip-shit Max- erh I would have locked her up in a room and threw away the key, but the truth is her reactions and behavior was raw and totally realistic. Stephanie Perkins is a master when she captures the essence of everything it means to be a teenager – in all aspects; including love.

The only downside to this book was the bitch Calliope who when I was reading I kept calling calling hope for some reason which later changed to rotten cantaloupe because she annoyed me so much. She is everything I despise about females, and yet I still connected with her on the sibling front. Deep down she had feelings, but the way she treated Lola was not on and I was glad when Lola gave it back to her.

And Lola, she is one smoking beauty. I think even more than Anna [for sure] she was one of my favorite female characters. I loved her flair, her flavor, her creativity and her willingness to take risks in life while still holding onto her morals. She is magical and if I had friends like her growing up and even now I would be rocking this world along side with her. She sews OMG, she has style and never makes excuses for herself. Even when she is going through her hardships she still has this strength that I love to see in females and yes I know- she grew weak when it came to Cricket, but he brings out the best in her.

There were so many times when I wanted to tear up, especially when it came to Norah, her mother and her relationship or lack of. Going through those things are freaking hard to say the least and it the moments they talked all I hoped for was what I always hoped for – a happy ending. But my eyes watered with happiness and I felt giddy inside because this book made me so happy and was just what I needed to be reminded of what love feels like, through the shit and the gold. And not just lovers love, but family and friendship love.

I’ve had my downwards relationships and let me tell you they have bruised me in so many ways, but to read a book so heavy on romance sometimes is like smiling when I am sick. I need it, it fuels me and it gives me hope and I hope that people reading this for whatever reason smile when they read this book too because its meant to show you that despite the darkness we all deserve happiness and laughter and to be ourselves and to find love.

My second downer when thinking about it was that there wasn’t enough interaction with her other friend Lindsey and I would have liked to get to know that side of her life a little more. However there is no doubt that I will be re-reading this at some point in the near future. And I cannot wait for Isla and the happily ever after.

0 comments:

Post a Comment