Tuesday, January 11, 2011

This Book Isn’t Fat, It’s Fabulous - Nina Beck - Book Review

0




Pages: 236

Published: 2009

Date Finished: 11 January 2011

Rating: 3.4 Stars


This Book Isn’t Fat, It’s Fabulous takes the reader to NY where Riley discovers instead of following [her so called] friends to Mexico for spring break] her father and step-mother are sending her to New Horizons –‘Fat Camp’ in upstate new york. Riley plans to stay for one week to please everyone, but will she ever be able please herself, Find herself and the meaning of true love?

Nina Beck is a wonderful Young Adult author who really understands teenage language and interaction. I admired that she stuck to the roots of what some teenagers really are like and it added more realistic depth to the characters. Her worlds flowed effortlessly, even though there were some parts typos in the novel.

I couldn’t see through the story’s message. I tried to understand exactly what Nina was trying to portray, but all I could conclude was that it’s okay to be yourself, treat people like shit and then expect everyone to forgive you when you can’t be honest with them or yourself. Given that the story is based around young adults it still annoyed me that someone could be that self centered and have a reader be sympathetic with her or even connect with her.

However I found myself laughing a lot throughout this book, and I did enjoy getting to know some of the characters and the world they live in. I didn’t think the plot was overly refreshing or original, but I liked that it embraced larger girls [I like reading about people my size.]

I wanted to like the characters personality, but yet again this was another Y.A novel that disappointed me with a self- absorbed young woman, who was for the majority of the novel the most egotistical of all the characters. While Riley did progress and grow somewhat, I felt that the transition between her past personality and her present/future could have been explored and expanded on for me to believe she had changed.

I liked Eric, as he was a character I could warm to. Admittedly there were times when I was rolling my eyes with his attitude, but for the most part he was a decent, honest gentleman and the way Riley treated him and everyone was astounding. I wondered why she had any friends in the first place and loved it when her [enemy] confided with her and told her the truth.

This series has potential and I would consider looking into getting the next book. I would recommend this to younger readers and fans of novels written in different formats.

0 comments:

Post a Comment